Pages

Super Venus, standard of a modern woman?



The goddess Aphrodite or Venus to the ancient Romans epitomizes beauty and has been countlessly depicted in many paintings, sculptures and drawings. Look at her. Who would´t want to be like her?  After watching this short film, it made me think about all the great lengths a woman must meet to attain today´s beauty standards. Sure, we shave and/ or wax, do our hair and make up, follow a skin routine, get our nails done, don the latest trends in fashion, if not, dress ones´ self sensibly, eat healthy, go to the gym, avoid as much as possible elements that hasten the process of aging... I can babble all day, but going under cosmetic procedures like a gazallion many times to change one´s appearance to be "perfect" in the eyes on an ever-scrutinising, fault-finding society when it comes to the question: what it beautiful? Who wants that? Super Venus, sure!

I want to teach my daughter the importance of taking care of herself not to please anyone, but to impart to her the value of sacredness and respecting one's body as a gift from our Creator. I am not a very religious person, but I believe in the existence of  a higher power which caused everything to become how they are right now. Call me conservative or traditional, however, I refuse to accept that "super venus" is the precursor of the future of beauty standard in our culture.

Here is the video. What are your thoughts?



XOXO, Rosanne

No comments:

Post a Comment